Wednesday, February 11, 2004

I took some time off because I've been angry. I get this way sometimes with business scenarios. Among other things that are too small to consider, my primary grievance has been with the NBC show "The Apprentice". The idea is good enough. Whoopie another reality thingy. It seems to be doing well. The thing I can't get past, however, is the "success" that one player seems to be having thanks almost soley to her sex appeal. Heidi. I'm being immature. I should mention that I know Heidi.... well, I've dealt with her in a business setting. I don't know if I'm allowed to mention this, but she works for Qwest Communications. She obviously doesn't win the Apprentice too because she still works for the worthless POS ISP (piece of Shit Internet Service Provider). Her and some of her Qwest cronies about 2 years ago appeared in a conference room promising some colleagues and me communications harmony at a reasonable price. Heidi showed up all decked out in a very short skirt and no pantyhose. Dork heaven, business no-no. Good thing she was there to impress dorks. She was obviously the project lead and her job was to basically flirt with us while at the same time convincing us that Qwest was the answer to our prayers.

We were impressed by the presentation and we went unanimously with Qwest. We recommended the solution to a multi-million dollar client and then started to work on the technical details of the venture. WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM!!! Not at all what we expected. I won't go into the nitty gritty, but the client (who wasn't at the sales meeting) questioned our decision to go with the company as their backbone for a critical financial application.

I shouldn't blame Heidi. She was just doing her job. As a matter of fact, I can't blame Heidi for how things have played out on the Apprentice. She saw an opportunity to be successful using something that she's not afraid to use and she's survived thus far. It's just a shame to see that the contests that are set up on this game tend to reward that inevitable behavior. Maybe it is a true example of the real working world after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home