Friday, October 01, 2004

An example of Technical Prowess

I love to blog. I love to read blogs. And we haven't even scratched the surface of what they'll become. While I'd like to blog more, I'm struggling with one thing that many blogs seem to lack. A consistent theme. I know, I know, if anyone was to actually read my blog, I'd be sure to get a plethora of "my blog has a constant theme you asshole" comments, but even the best bloggers go off on tangents from time to time.

Take my site, Technical Prowess. Believe it or not, Technical Prowess is a concept that I'm trying to develop. Because its so hard (and boring) to talk about Technical Prowess as a concept every entry, I've decided to instead write some informative articles about what Technical Prowess is and then post them permanently as buttons or tabs or something somewhere on this site. The problem, of course, is that the articles are not complete. It's not easy to write about it when I have so much to say about other things.

Technical Prowess is generally a little more difficult to define because in most business circles its a personal trait that's considered intangible. And in other words, indefinable. But my stance is that Technical Prowess not only can be defined, but must be defined in order for technical organizations to be successful. By hiring people, developing people and instilling a culture that exemplifies Technical Prowess, a technical organization can thrive as a reliable and dependable source of support.

So what is Technical Prowess? Who has it? How can you get it? That answer will hopefully come through blogging on this site. But we all know someone who has it. The go-to guy or gal at work. The one with the best demeanor in front of the customer. The one with the "soft skills" who's diversity can be utilized in multiple situations. We all know someone like that don't we?

The person I know is my Dad. His integrity is unmatched and his clients love him. Yes, he's a technical guy too and he's also the reason I'm a technical guy.... Well, the cash helped, but if it wasn't for him, I'd probably wouldn't be in the tech business. Anyway, not only is Dad my biggest albeit only blog-fan, he has also started a blog of his own. You can find it at kelleyron.blogspot.com. Check it out... but when you do, listen to how he treats his customers. Listen to how he respects them. Notice how he makes sure his customers are happy before he considers a problem fixed. And think about how he gladly supports them. Then think about how Technical Prowess might be defined.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ron Kelley said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, my Hero!!

Love - Dad

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home